No matter how many people live under one roof or what all the occupants in a home do, the one thing that’s certain is that a kitchen is the most important part of any household. The kitchen is like that precious stone on any expensive jewelry, it is the most admired location of the home and the center of attention for all types of gatherings, and it is the room that adds value to a property.
For all these reasons and more, a kitchen renovation is always the most important renovation for any homeowner and when designing a functional yet extremely beautiful kitchen, a very special attention needs to be given to all the larger and smaller details.
I love cooking, and I personally enjoy a kitchen that is extremely functional so that I can enjoy spending more time in there by myself or with my guests, and I also understand it is one of the most valued investments of any home, so I work very hard on making sure my clients receive the most amazing kitchen design they ever dreamed of.
How you design your kitchen must be in accordance to your needs and priorities and to your future plans with the home you are in. When I was designing this kitchen for one of my clients at their new home in Rosedale area, their plans was to expand their family and retire in that home. They wanted an upscale kitchen that they could cook, eat, work and entertain in. The wall between the living and kitchen area was removed to expand the area, and give more cabinet space. This allowed for a larger Island as well. The storage in the cabinets were all design based on the needs of the clients for now and in the future.
10 tips for an amazingly functional and beautiful kitchen:
- Invest in great appliances; your appliances must be picked and purchased before the design stage of the kitchen. The kitchen is designed around the appliances; you must know the dimensions of your fridge, stove and dishwasher before you can begin designing the cabinets. I always tell my clients to be sensible with the sizes, and buy what makes sense for their space, and splurge on the electronics in their kitchen, you need your appliances to do their work, so that you can do yours. Appliances complete the look of your kitchen and you want them to last you a good number of years. So you should spend time looking for the right ones that fit your needs and requirements.
- Cover your appliances with the same finishes of your cabinets; this will create a flow of unity in your kitchen.
- Use your corners wisely; I prefer and always recommend corner cabinets on top, and corner drawers on the bottom
- Have a minimum of two glass doors for the top cabinets; I usually place them on the corners or next to the hood fan. This way you can use your best dishes or crystals to accessorize your kitchen.
- Always account for an island, it will help create better functionality by giving you extra preparation area and gives you extra storage space. Plus the counter can be used as an extra gathering and eating space.
- Functionality is very important, and there is nothing worse than a beautiful kitchen that is not functional, so make sure you account for all the preparation, cooking and storing areas properly and design the kitchen to your specific wants and needs.
- Choose the right materials that are not only durable and strong, but also easy to maintain and not hard to fix.
- Lighting is extremely important in designing a kitchen; so make use of both natural and artificial lighting the best way possible. General lighting will always be there, make sure to add task lighting above the island or accent the island with decorative fixtures. Always have under cabinet lighting above all the counter space. Extra pot lights are also a good idea for larger kitchens. Dimmers are a great way when trying to set the kitchen in a certain mood for entertaining.
- Mix the old with the new; having a few modern design element mixed with some traditional ones creates a more timeless space.
- Don’t be afraid to add patterns and details as decorative touches, and a splash of color to spice up the space. Color the details on the trims with another color to bring them out a bit more, or use a jewel tone backsplash to add the extra bold touch.
Are you ready for a new kitchen? Take a look at eieihome’s directory of kitchen renovators.