It’s that exciting time of year when we get to dive in and get some deep down spring cleaning done! Ok, maybe it isn’t so exciting. In fact, if you’re like a large portion of the population, you’ve actually been dreading spring cleaning season. Because really, when the weather finally starts to get enjoyable, who wants to spend their weekends scrubbing baseboards or reorganizing the closet?
Here are some quick and easy spring cleaning tips for people who hate to clean.
1. Enlist help: You probably didn’t get the house dirty by yourself, so you shouldn’t have to clean it by yourself. Gather the family, from the smallest to the biggest members and delegate work. Remember that old saying, many hands make light work. Even your preschooler can successfully wield a duster (provided any breakables have been moved out of the way).
2. Organize before you clean: Before you begin, grab all of your cleaning products and tools and place them in a caddy. This way, everything you need will be at your fingertips.
3. Create a cleaning strategy: If you try to clean multiple rooms all at once, you are likely to end up with several partially cleaned rooms. Instead, clean one room at a time. To save time, clean each room from top to bottom. This means dusting before you sweep.
4. Speaking of sweeping –don’t: If you have a vacuum cleaner with a bare floors setting, use it instead. That’s what it’s there for.
5. Say no to your phone: We know; fear of missing out is a real thing. However, the quickest way to get through an afternoon of cleaning is to focus on the task at hand.
6. Crank that playlist: Make a housecleaning playlist and turn it up! It will motivate you to stay on task and help things go by faster.
7. Clear the clutter before you clean: Before you scrub, vacuum or dust a single surface, remove all of the knickknacks, decorations and other clutter first. Not only will it make your cleaning faster, but it will remove the temptation to just clean around it (you didn’t think you were the only one did you?) Handy hint: only replace half of the clutter. If you hate having to move all of that stuff every time you clean, maybe it’s time to relocate it or remove it entirely.
The best way to keep spring cleaning chores to a minimum is to keep things clean all year long. We know. You hate cleaning. Many people do. But if you can manage to do a little each day or each week, then it won’t be so overwhelming.
Of course, if you really hate it that much, or biggest spring cleaning tip would be to hire a professional cleaning service to do it for you.