When it comes to expert advice on lawn and garden care, Mark Cullen and Home Hardware are two names that Canadians know they can trust. That’s why eieihome.com was so thrilled when our friends at Home hardware put us in touch with Mr. Cullen to get his expert advice on choosing the right lawn fertilizer.
Spring is here and the last of the winter snow should be behind us (fingers crossed). For a lot of homeowners that means it’s time to start working on lawn care. And when it comes to having a green and healthy lawn, most of us don’t just want to keep up with the Joneses, we want to be the Joneses.
Between weeding and feeding, sowing and mowing, taking care of your lawn does require some effort. Don’t despair, that doesn’t mean it’s impossible. Raising a healthy, attractive lawn can be accomplished by anyone, as long as you have the right products to work with and a bit of knowhow.
Mark Cullen’s tips for buying the right lawn fertilizer
- Buy quality [lawn fertilizer], as it makes all of the difference.
- Look for ‘slow release nitrogen’ as this is the element that your lawn craves the most as it emerges from winter.
- High nitrogen content, about 18%, is essential for fast and long lasting results. The first number in the 3 number analysis is always nitrogen.
- Chelated Iron will turn your lawn green faster than anything else.
- Look for a quality product that will not stain patios and driveways.
- Golfgreen Iron plus encourages so much chlorophyll in grass plants that it can appear ‘blue/green’ from a distance.
- Apply the product at half rate in opposing directions for even distribution.
- No need to water-in when applying in the spring.
How and When to Apply Lawn Fertilizer
For good, even distribution of your lawn fertilizer, be sure to use a rolling fertilizer spreader. Using one is as easy as pushing a mower, and it can help you achieve that healthy, evenly green lawn you desire. For tiny lawns, you may be able to opt for a handheld spreader, if desired.
As for when to apply your fertilizer, now is the time. Mark Cullen and the experts at Home Hardware say that April is the optimal time to get a jumpstart on lawncare.
“At some point in April you should be safe to put down a mix of fertilizer, grass seed and compost,” says Cullen. “It will help your lawn recover and provide a good foundation for the summer.”
However, fertilizing your lawn isn’t a one time only task. A slow-release, high-iron fertilizer should be used again, approximately 6-weeks following your first application.
“Applying fertilizer twice in the spring will foster strong roots and healthy growth into the expected heat waves in July and August,” Cullen says.
With outdoor living becoming increasingly important to the Canadian lifestyle, it’s no wonder why so many people are devoted to creating healthy, beautiful lawns.
Enter To Win!
We’re giving away a Spring Lawn and Garden gift pack from Home Hardware! Enter now for your chance to win this great bundle of lawn and garden care essentials. The winning name will be randomly drawn on Friday May 5th.
- One bag of GolfGreen Lawn Recovery OR IronPlus depending on YOUR lawn needs
- NEW Mini stainless steel garden hoe
- Live Good of your choice from the garden centre
- Yellow Home Hardware bucket