Furnishing a home takes time, patience and lots of research to find the right pieces, the right fixtures to complete any space. Shouldn’t the same care be extended to the type of floor that’s installed in each room? Common options include tile and hardwood, but what about carpet tiles? Before you make any decisions, consider the advantages of having carpet installed throughout your home. Here’s what you need to know before you visit a carpet tile retailer.
What is Carpet Tile?
Carpet tiles are exactly what they sound like – tiles of carpet. They look like tiles, but instead of the actual tile being porcelain or ceramic, it’s carpet! Take a look:
They’ve been around for decades, but when you envision a carpeted floor, do you picture a flooring pro carrying around a large carpet roll over their shoulder? Carpet tiles are much more efficient than that and can be easily installed anywhere in your home. They come in various sizes, styles and colours, a huge advantage for homeowners who are looking for an easy and affordable way to update any room. Here are some advantages:
- They don’t require a professional installer. Fitting a traditional one-piece carpet is one that requires a lot of time and patience – likely a professional – but that’s not the case with carpeted tile. They’re easy to install.
- If you are transporting them yourself as opposed to relying on a flooring professional, you’re in luck. They are compact, making them easy to take anywhere (unlike that rather large roll of carpet you were thinking about earlier).
- They’re easy to place in awkwardly-shaped or very small rooms, making them an easy choice in the furnishing and design process.
- They’re easy to clean – if a tile has a stubborn stain that cannot be removed, simply replace the tile, not the entire floor.
If you’re moving into a new home that needs floors, or are upgrading an existing set of floors, you’ll have to allocate some of your home renovation budget to flooring. Thankfully, carpet tiles are an affordable flooring option.
Carpet tiles do not require an underlay or adhesive when being installed, which saves you money. And since they are easy to install, you can save on flooring installation costs by making your home improvement project a DIY.
Installing Carpet Tile
Make your flooring project a DIY with this guideline on how to install carpet tiles:
- Measure the distance between the opposite walls to obtain the centre and draw a line. Repeat this with the other walls. The center of the room will be your starting point.
- Check to ensure you are not left with a small strip against the wall or near a doorway. If so, adjust the starting point slightly off centre to ensure you may lay down solid pieces of carpet tile.
- Lay double-sided tape on the floor and allow it to dry completely.
- Start layering the tiles at the centre of the floor where indicated based on your measurements. Work outward, slowly laying pieces of carpet tile in the room.
- Lay the tiles that do not require any cutting before measuring and cutting tiles for smaller spaces or corners.
- Place each tile closely next to each other, leaving as little room beside each edge as possible.
- Cut some tiles to the appropriate size to fit small corners and areas of the room.
- Voila! You’ve successfully completed this DIY flooring project.
Having trouble visualizing carpet in your home? Check out these rooms featuring a carpeted floor:
Are you ready to head to the store to pick up brand new carpet tiles? Check out our database of flooring experts who can assist you in the selection process!