What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you’re de-cluttering? Maybe your in-laws have some extra space and you’re sure they wouldn’t mind if you store there, or, will you go the smart route and consider self-storage? Before entrusting your valuable belongings to a self-storage facility, investigate the basics.
What is Self-Storage?
Self-storage is rented space that gives you the ability to store your personal belongings off site, out of your way. Self-storage units vary in size from a large locker, 4 ft X 3 ft X 4 ft (w d h) up to a two car garage, 20 ft X 30 ft X 8 ft (600 sq. ft.). Always consult experienced personnel to help determine the correct space required to accommodate the storage of your belongings. All Canadian Self-Storage makes storing easy with access to your belongings at any time; choose a facility that is the right fit for you.
Choosing a Self-Storage Company
- Ask for proof of pest control (contract). ACSS is unique in that their contract states inspection will occur twice a month.
- Ask if pay period is 28 days or per month. The 28 day period is very complicated to track and keep up with and some people consider it a scheme to achieve a higher annual rent rate from you.
- Ask if rent payment is pro-rated per day on move in and move out.
- Ask about video cameras inside and outside the facility. ACSS has numerous strategically placed cameras at all facilities.
- No minimum, rent per day, week or month.
- No fees, deposit or administration charges.
Each storage facility may have different features that will best accommodate you.
Some belongings may require special storage considerations. Many self-storage companies do not offer heated units that will protect your belongings from freezing and moisture damage. All ACSS facilities offer heated units.
The Perfect Choice
Remember all self-storages are not created equally. Hal Spradling (36 years in the business) owner of ACSS states the most important factor in choosing a facility is to visit the site before you select. In closing, when looking for a self-storage location, it will be a welcome convenience if the facility offers moving boxes, packing supplies and truck rental. All the above are available at ACSS locations.