We are living in a technological age where just about everything in your home can be made “smart” or automated, so why not add window coverings to the list?
In today’s article I will run through some of the major benefits and considerations that are associated with making the decision to purchase a window or blind automation system for your home.
- Extreme convenience: Just like any other smart technology, smart blinds & shades are meant to make your life easier. If you already have smart lighting (or smart anything) in your home, you will know how nice it is to be able to control that functionality seamlessly your smart phone. That is the exact same convenience you can expect from automated blinds or shades, which can also be pre-programmed to open and close at certain times of the day and respond to temperature conditions in the home when connected to a smart home hub.
- Energy Savings: Whenever you have greater control over the amount of light and heat entering your home, you also have greater control over your energy bills. Controlling the temperature in your home via your blinds and shades is a far less cost intensive process than always relying on your heating and cooling systems. This is especially relevant for those home owners who have windows that are hard to access on a regular basis.
- Security: One of the novel benefits of having your blinds or shades automated is the fact that they offer the impression that someone is home, even when someone is not. If your home is frequently left unoccupied, keeping your automated blinds or shades on a regular open/close schedule will maintain the impression that someone is in the home.
- Installation & Affordability: The affordability of automated home blinds and shades varies greatly depending on a number of factors. The quantity and type of windows you have in your home, whether you are opting for blinds or shades and the complexity of the installation all play a role in determining cost. As an example, Lutron sells one of the leading automated shade varieties on the market. Their shades require professional installation and will run a total cost in the thousands. This cost can potentially be mediated by limiting the number of shades you automate. Conversely, My Smart Blinds is a simple blind automation system and offers an easy to install technology that works with your existing blinds at a very affordable price point.
- Overall Value: Opting for smart window and blind technology will do wonders for the value of your home. With the housing market already as hot as it is, there is no better time to invest in the efficiency and appeal of your residence.