How can you tell if your basement is prone to floods? eieihome did some research to find the top reasons why your basement may be at risk of water damage caused by flooding. Here are the top five reasons basements flood and the best ways solutions to target each issue.
- Bad grading: The ground should slope away from your house everywhere. If it doesn’t, re-slope it.
- Wrong soil: To the depth of the footing, the soil should be sandy or gravel. If it isn’t, replace it.
- Leaking downspouts: Is there staining down the walls? Does the downspout end right beside the house? Replace it. extend it.
- Bad window wells: There should be at least a six inches between the bottom of the window and the gravel in the well, and a well drain connected to the weepers. It there isn’t, make it so.
- Tired foundation walls: There may be more to worry about, but if not, dig out the wall, wrap it in membrane and check all of the above.