You waited and waited until you found the perfect carpet for your home. You bring it through the front door, excited to roll it into place. Sadly, it doesn’t take long for it to be riddled with a nasty, eye-catching stain. eieihome to the rescue! We have the info you need to banish that stain for good.
The First Step
Before you attack the stain with a bucket of cleaning solutions sitting in your laundry room, you must first treat the stain with a little TLC.
- Blot the spot with some paper towel.
- Rinse the spot with clean water and continue to blot gently.
- Fight against the urge to ferociously scrub away at the stain. That’ll destroy the carpet fibers and will actually worsen the stain.
Using household supplies, make the following solutions to individually treat stains.
The following solutions are based on the type of stain on your carpet.
Solution #1 – Water-soluble stains
These stains are caused by the following items:
- ice cream
Mix 4 cups of water with 1/4 teaspoon of non-bleach detergent or white vinegar.
Solution #2 – Special water-soluble stains
These stains are a direct result of the following:
Mix 1 tablespoon of ammonia with 1 cup of water. Avoid using bleach, for it could damage your carpet.
The following stains require extra care when being treated:
Oil and Wax
Place a sheet of paper towel over the carpet. Using a warm iron, iron over the stain, which should come right off the carpet and stick to the paper towel.
Moisten a cotton ball or soft cloth with rubbing alcohol and gently press onto the area. Once the glue is sufficiently moistened, wipe it off and repeat until the carpet is clean.
Blot the affected area with a rag dipped in nail polish remover.
Our marketing director has had his fair share of experience removing nasty stains from the carpet. He recommends spraying hairspray on the stain as soon as you see it. As with our other solutions, blot the stain using paper towel. Keep blotting until the stain disappears.
If that doesn’t work, he also suggests using WD-40. This video shows you how it works:
For Future Reference
- Have your carpets cleaned by a carpet cleaning service every 12 to 18 months.
- If you’re treating spot stains yourself, use a fan or dehumidifier to quicken the drying time after cleaning.
- If your carpet is wet for more than 24 hours, it’s at risk for mildew and bacteria growth.
- Did your carpet come with paperwork on warranty? Some carpets with stain resistance must be cleaned with specific products, meaning these DIY cleaning solutions won’t do.
Don’t forget: be gentle! A stain will not contribute to the demise of your carpet unless you’re rough in the process of trying to mend it.
Having trouble with a carpet stain? Let one of our carpet cleaning experts give you a hand with that.