EiEiHome spoke to Bart Bremmers, General Manager of Craft-Bilt Materials Ltd., a manufacturer of sunrooms, patio covers, decking, railing and fabric canopies. His experience with sunrooms began 30 years ago and he was able to provide some great suggestions for homeowners considering a gazebo to add to the entertainment value of their backyard.
What is a gazebo used for?
“An ideal time to consider a gazebo is when the design of your house is such that attaching a sunroom is not possible,” says Bremmers. Basically a gazebo is a free-standing sunroom that can be used any time of the year. Gazebos are often octagonal in shape, but can also be square.
“Most often homeowners will consider adding a gazebo to shelter their hot tub,” he adds. But Bremmers has also seen many gazebos outfitted with nice outdoor furniture, used for added relaxation areas, while entertaining outdoors.
What are gazebos made of?
Often gazebos are made of wood, but you can also get them in maintenance-free materials like aluminum.
The word “gazebo” is used to describe many structures;
- Wide open, just a shingled roof with columns and railings
- Screened, typically a wood structure
- Curtains with zippers like those four-legged metal structures you find at your local big box store
- Enclosed with glass or plastic windows, typically made of cedar
- Completely weatherproof and using maintenance-free materials
It is important to think about how you will use your gazebo space;
- Do you only plan to use it on warm calm days?
- Do you want something that is bug, water and wind resistant?
- Do you plan to use the gazebo occasionally or all the time?
- Do you want a place where you can relax and watch TV?
The answers to these questions will tell you which gazebo is the best choice for your backyard. Bremmer suggests that budget will definitely be a deciding factor. At the low end you can go to your local lumber store and get a 10×10 square with fabric curtains for less than $1000. At the high end, for $15000, you can purchase a top-of-the-line aluminum gazebo with sliding windows, screens and built-in electrical outlets.
Editor, Dawn Boshcoff
Craft-bilt Materials Ltd., can help you make the right choice for your backyard entertainment area. You’ll find them and lots of other home service professionals at EiEiHome.com in our directory listing.