Creating the ultimate backyard oasis where you can escape is a goal for many. Now homeowners are adding electric outdoor fireplaces to extend their enjoyment of their backyard.
In the recent Hot Spots research study by Napoleon, when consumers were asked where they would like to have a fireplace in their next home, 35% indicated the backyard.
“As with interior fireplaces, an outdoor fireplace can be used as a heat source, an ambient feature or a focal point,” states Jeanne Grier, President and co-owner, Stylish Fireplaces. “Until recently, electric fireplaces weren’t an option for outdoor use. As they have gained acceptance for indoor use and become the fastest growing fireplace category in North America, manufacturers have broadened their product lines. Amantii has developed a line of electric fireplaces that have been tested for indoor and outdoor use.”
According to the 2015 Residential Landscape Architecture Design Trends survey, fire pits and fireplaces were considered popular Outdoor Room elements by 78% of landscape architects surveyed.
The Hearth, Patio and Barbecue Association has been tracking outdoor living trends for over a decade and list fireplaces and fire pits as mainstays of an outdoor room.
Fire pits are a gathering point in many backyards, and may run on wood, propane or natural gas. Which you choose will depend on access to fuel, cost, and local by-laws, which may prohibit open fires or burning wood. With natural gas, you need to run a gas line to the pit, which may be prohibitive if you aren’t planning a major overhaul of your backyard. Outdoor fireplaces have traditionally been built using wood or natural gas and have the same limitations as fire pits.
“While providing ambiance and a focal point, both fire pits and fireplaces that burn gas or wood have limitations for controlling heat,” adds Grier. “If they are burning, they are hot, whether you need heat or not. Imagine sitting outside on a summer night, and turning on the fire for ambiance, but being so hot that you must move away. With Amantii’s electric outdoor fireplaces, consumers can now have the illusion of a fire in the summer without the heat.”
Homeowners are embracing outdoor electric fireplaces for the same reasons they are turning to indoor electric fireplaces:
- They are affordable and cost a fraction of a gas or wood-burning fireplace to purchase and install. They operate with LED lights, which use less than a penny per hour of electricity to run the fireplace without heat, and less than 20 cents per hour to run with the heater on full.
- They can be operated with or without heat so you can enjoy the flames year-round.
- They are easy to install. You need a regular 120-volt connection on a dedicated line and do not need a vent, chimney or gas line.
- They are safe. The glass will never get hot enough to burn hands. Because there is no combustion, there is no risk of carbon monoxide and no impact on air quality.
- They offer a range of choices, like logs and crystals, as well as colourful light effects and are readily available in a broad range of sizes and styles without custom-ordering.
When you are landscaping your backyard, consider incorporating an outdoor electric fireplace.
For additional information visit www.stylishfireplaces.ca.