With trick or treaters going door-to-door in just a few weeks, Weiser has shared home and front door security tips.
Here are the following tips that will help make your home safer during Halloween:
- Don’t leave your door unlocked while trick or treating with your children, even if you’re just walking down the street.
- If you won’t be home for an extended period of time on Halloween, turn on some lights and your TV or radio. You can also leave a bowl of candy outside of your front door. Burglars are more likely to target an empty home than one that is, or appears, occupied.
- Don’t tweet your Halloween plans. You don’t really know who is following you on Twitter or Facebook so if you announce to the world that you’ll be taking your children out for the evening, everyone will know that your house will be empty.
- Keep your door locked after each group of trick or treaters.
- Ensure all outdoor lights are functioning properly and keep your front door illuminated well when you are receiving trick or treaters.
- Don’t feel you have to answer the door after the typical trick-or-treat rush is over. Once the rush dies down, you may want to turn off your outside light to indicate you’re done answering the door for the night.
Weiser is Canada’s leading brand in residential door hardware and offers a variety of home improvement solutions for consumers and retailers. Since its start almost 112 years ago, Weiser has created innovative door hardware products that are both stylish and offer superior security. The most recent game changing innovation introduced by Weiser was their SmartKeyTM rekey technology that allows homeowners to securely re-key their own locks in seconds, while it simultaneously enhances the high level security provided by a Weiser deadbolt. Weiser – security and innovation since 1904. For more information, please visit weiserlock.com.