Spring is upon us after a few harsh winter months, and as we evaluate the damage that Mother Nature has done, we scramble to find the 1-800 number to the backyard emergency hotline. Unfortunately, when we called, the line was busy. Therefore, we decided to do our own research on how we can transform our backyard landscapes into an oasis!
Step 1: Inspect and Repair
The first step in our landscape rescue plan is to inspect the yard and take care of any cleaning or repairs that need to be done. Start with simple projects like picking up trash and raking the lawn to remove debris. Once the clean-up is complete, inspect siding, outdoor structures, fences and eavestroughs for damage.
Deck Repair 101
If you have a deck or patio space, a little deck repair can go along way to giving your backyard new life. Repair your deck by removing any soft or rotted boards and replacing them with rot-resistant or pressure treated wood. Spot prime any exposed trim ends with Alkyd Stain Blocking Primer. Pull loose or popped nailheads and replace with a larger galvanized nail. Fill all nail heads with exterior filler. To avoid moisture penetration, caulk all cracks or checks in the deck boards.
Thoroughly clean your deck prior to re-painting. To clean and neutralize mildew and algae spots, use a solution of 1 part bleach to 4 parts water. Soak the area for at least 15 minutes and then rinse well. Give your deck plenty of time to dry before you begin to re-paint.
Give your deck a fresh look with a solid hide stain like SharkSkin Solid Hide Deck & Siding. A solid hide stain provides a rich, creamy texture that hides the natural colour of the wood, masking imperfections and unwanted grain and colour variations. This is especially important if you have had to replace some of the older boards with newer boards that do not match perfectly!
Step 2: Adding Excitement
Once your yard is clean and repairs have been done, you’re ready to look at adding excitement to your backyard. Adding new elements is a great way to turn your boring backyard into a fresh, exciting oasis!
Love to Garden
- Why bend over to pick herbs from your garden when you can create a vertical herb garden?
- We spend hours pulling weeds and pruning in our backyard to create a beautiful garden. Why not have a gazebo that overlooks our garden where we can sit and read a good book?
Need to Organize
- An outdoor shower comes in handy when the kids are full of mud and wanting to come into the house.
- Garden sheds are a great way to tidy up the backyard by tucking away your lawnmower and garden tools behind closed doors.
Planning to Entertain
- Create the ultimate backyard theatre with a few props and host a movie night.
- Don’t have enough room in the house for the in-laws to stay overnight? No problem, add a private guest room in your backyard.
A little creative planning and effort is all it will take to turn your backyard into an oasis that you and your loved ones will enjoy over the summer months ahead.
Photo Source: Summerwood Products
As Seen In Canadian Home Trends Spring 2014
Have you been inspired to save your backyard landscape? Then take a look at eieihome’s directory of backyard landscapers.