A home inspection provides a visible snapshot of the condition of your home, at the time of the inspection, along with a written detailed report for the homebuyer. In a real estate transaction, an inspection is usually ordered after your offer has been accepted by the seller.
EiEiHome spoke with Inch By Inch Inspections Inc., to find out why a home inspection is a wise choice for the homebuyer:
- With a home inspection you can ensure that you are not buying a house with major defects.
- You want to be aware of various elements of the home including; heating and cooling systems, foundation and structural elements; electrical and plumbing and potential mold issues.
- It’s important to learn about the mechanical systems in the house and how they are to be maintained.
- Most homeowners are not experts in the numerous components of house construction.
- A home inspector should be an objective third party with no emotional attachment to the house or property.
Who should you hire?
Inch by Inch Inspections Inc. told us what to look for in a reliable and experienced home inspector. You want a service professions who offers an inspection with no “hidden” surprises.
- A professional will provide a thorough and detailed comprehensive report, both verbal and computer generated.
- Service details and dealings should be guaranteed confidential.
- Your home inspector should know how to use modern, high-tech inspection equipment and techniques.
- Professionals are fully insured with Errors and Omissions (E&O) Insurance and can provide a copy at your request.
- Fees should be negotiated and determined up front with no hidden costs.
- An experienced home inspector will be able to answer your questions and provide useful information.
- Your service pro should be available by telephone or email consultation for any required follow-up.
- And of course, you’ll want to find a courteous professional who has your best interests in mind.
What does it cost?
The cost of a home inspection will vary depending on a few different scenarios. Inch By Inch Inspections considers the following before providing a price quote:
- The size and age of the home
- Is it a detached house, duplex or condominium?
- How much time is required for a thorough inspection?
- Will there be any additional services required? i.e. well testing
Make sure, as a homeowner, that you ask the right questions before hiring a home inspector or any home improvement professional who offers advice. EiEiHome provides a directory listing of service pros, recommendations and homeowner reviews — easy to access online at the click of a mouse!
Editor, Dawn Boshcoff