Anniversaries, birthdays, graduations, Father’s Day, Mother’s Day, and just-because-I-love-you days! These are all wonderful reasons to celebrate people you love and mark the special occasion with a gift. Diamonds are a girl’s best friend and Dad can always use extra golf balls, but when you think about some of the best presents you’ve ever received, nothing says love like a homemade gift.
During these unprecedented times when going out to shop for a gift is not an option, and online deliveries can take weeks, it’s the perfect opportunity to get creative and share the gift of thoughtfulness with a homemade gift.
Inspired to give a homemade gift
If you’re a naturally creative and crafty person, your options are endless. But for those who aren’t a “Martha Stewart”, no problem! What makes a homemade gift special is the personal meaning behind it. It shows you took the time, and it proves you really know them and best of all, it’s a one-of-a-kind gift they’ll treasure forever.
When coming up with ideas for homemade gifts, we’re looking at no-fuss, no-cost, and no real talent required options that can be made with things you probably already have in your home. Remember, the whole point is to not have to purchase anything and give from the heart.
IOU coupons and gift certificates
Performing an act of kindness or service makes a wonderfully thoughtful gift. Whether a one-time gesture, a task a month, or a complete book of coupons filled with tasks and treats that last for the entire year, the gift of time and experience is always appreciated. The possibilities are endless and can ultimately extend outside the home, but here are a few idea starters:
- Chores Around the House
- Homemade candlelit dinner
- Order Take-out
- Sleep-in with breakfast in bed
- Massage/foot rub
- Control of the remote
- Walk the dog
- King or Queen for the Day
Bakers, bread makers, and breakfast burrito Bandidos come together to serve up your best memorable mouthfuls of culinary creativity. There’s no better gift than enjoying something sweet, savoury, spicy, or decently gourmet – as long as you didn’t have to make it yourself. Here are a few delicious ideas that will have them asking for more! Remember extra points for presentation!
- Containers of cookies, bins of brownies, or loaves of banana bread
- Jars of jam, salsa, BBQ sauce, or Dulce de Leche
- Candied garlic, spiced walnuts, roasted cheddar almonds
- Flavoured olive oil infused with either a sprig of rosemary, lemon zest, or coarsely-ground peppercorns
- Got lemons? Make Limoncello! (Sugar, lemon, water, vodka, chill in the freezer for a week)
- Cook up a romantic gourmet dinner for two
- Share your secret recipes in a notebook. Be it Grandma’s cookies, secret sauces, or your go-to easy dinner winners
Who doesn’t like a little me-time? The following homemade gifts are easy to make with ingredients you likely have on-hand and will deliver an at-home spa treatment they’ll thank you for!
- Bubble Bath (coconut oil, castile soap, essential oils, and water)
- Cinnamon Sugar Hand Scrub (brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and coconut oil
- Body Butter (coconut oil, honey, and citrus zest)
It’s easy to lose yourself in the online universe of DIY crafts – knitting and sewing projects to building wreaths, making jewelry, building furniture, and creating literal works of art. This is great for those who are handy. That said here, are some thoughtful gifts that don’t require glue!
- A love letter, love notes, poem, or story – long, short or sappy, it’s a guaranteed keeper
- A memory jar filled with handwritten strips of paper with favourite memories, inspirational quotes or bad dad jokes
- Create a personalized Spotify playlist, host an at-home concert (guitar, piano, and singing) or record yourself performing
- Capture the moments with a planned photo session
Inspired? Excited? Awesome! There are hundreds of other easy-to-make-at-home ideas online, so feel free to explore and perhaps even develop a new hoppy! The real beauty of homemade gifts is they’re fun to make, sentimental to receive, and for the most part free and yet completely priceless.