It’s Halloween, which means trick or treaters will soon be dressing up in creative costumes and heading door-to-door.
Whether you are planning to stay at home to hand out candy or are intending to roam the streets for sweets, it is important to be mindful about the security of your front door on Halloween night.
Halloween is one of the few nights of the year when it is known a lot of people will be leaving their homes unattended and opening their doors to strangers, so it is important that you take measures to mitigate the risk. Staying informed and being proactive about protecting your home door can help to ensure your Halloween night is safe and secure.
Weiser Locks provides the following tips to make certain your front door is protected:
· Don’t leave your door unlocked while trick or treating with your children, even if you’re just walking down the street.
· If you won’t be home for an extended period of time on Halloween, turn on some lights and your TV or radio. You can also leave a bowl of candy outside of your front door. Burglars are more likely to target an empty home than one that is, or appears, occupied.
· Don’t tweet your Halloween plans. You don’t really know who is following you on Twitter or Facebook, so if you announce to the world that you’ll be taking your children out for the evening, everyone will know that your house will be empty.
· Keep your door locked after each group of trick or treaters.
· Ensure all outdoor lights are functioning properly and keep your front door illuminated when you are receiving trick or treaters.
· Utilize existing technology. With today’s smartlocks and home security systems, you can monitor activity at your front door from a far, and lock or unlock your door remotely. This is a handy feature if your older children want to go out with their friends, and not be burdened by their younger siblings. You can give them access to the house when they are done, and lock the door safely behind them, no matter where you are.
· Don’t feel you have to answer the door after the typical trick-or-treat rush is over. Once the rush dies down, you may want to turn off your outside light to indicate you’re done answering the door for the night.
Weiser is Canada’s leading brand in residential door hardware and offers a variety of home improvement solutions for consumers and retailers. Since its start almost 112 years ago, Weiser has created innovative door hardware products that are both stylish and offer superior security. The most recent game changing innovation introduced by Weiser was their SmartKeyTM rekey technology that allows homeowners to securely re-key their own locks in seconds, while it simultaneously enhances the high level security provided by a Weiser deadbolt. Weiser – security and innovation since 1904. For more information, please visit weiserlock.com.