With the last of the festive food eaten and all the holiday decorations boxed up for another year, you may look around your home and feel like it’s looking more than a little lackluster this January. Luckily, January is the perfect time to refresh your décor for the year ahead and also take advantage of last year’s sales.
If your space is ripe for a refresh and you live in a condominium with limited space and storage, it is especially important that each piece you bring into your home is carefully selected – you do not have the space for unnecessary clutter or items that do not add form and function.
Living beautifully in a small space can seem challenging but by following some simple guidelines, you can make your home look and feel like a million bucks, without breaking the bank. I always tell people to work with a high-low method when it comes to styling. Look at it like dressing – by investing in a few beautiful staple pieces, you can mix those beautiful high-end pieces with lower cost items that you cycle in and out of your wardrobe.
It’s much the same when staging your home. By investing in a few statement pieces that serve to set the look and feel of the room, you can mix and match textiles, area rugs, lighting and other extras that make your house into a fabulous home that reflects your personal style.
A good rule is that for every new expensive piece you buy, offset it with a vintage piece or a new good quality inexpensive piece. This also serves as a great conversation starter! It shows guests in your home that you are a smart shopper and your style is uniquely your own.
Here are some tricks to make your small space look and feel luxe and lavish:
- Perfect your palette: Paint walls the same colour to help make the space feel larger and more cohesive.
- House of mirrors: Mirrors are an easy way to give the illusion of space and reflect the amazing items in your home.
- Set the mood: Mood and accent lighting create the atmosphere of luxury. Spot lighting can be used to highlight certain objects or artwork, which creates a gallery look.
- Sink in: Soft supple fabrics like wool and chenille make people feel comfortable and allow them to revel in the sumptuous feel. Cashmere throws are an easy way to create instant luxury.
- Luxe layers: By layering fabrics, furs and area rugs, the space will feel anchored and luxurious.
- Go big: Keep furniture slim lined and low. Spending more on one large item is better than spreading that money out to several small pieces – accessories should be larger than you think.
- Edit yourself: Less is more. Fewer higher quality items help keep your space luxurious and uncluttered.
Remember, living stylishly in a small space means making no concessions. If you are entertaining, pay attention to the lighting, purchase fresh cut flowers and serve your guests with elegant flatware and real napkins. It’s incredible how far these little touches go and elegance is always in style.
Do you want to live luxe? Take a look at eieihome’s interior design professionals.