categories | articles | write a review
sign up | log in | ARE YOU A HOME PRO?

Mould Removal: It’s not a DIY job!

A mould problem is difficult to get rid of, especially when you can’t see it. But when mould is obvious and it’s taking over a wall in the basement, eating way at the baseboards on the main floor and discolouring your once-perfectly painted walls, you might consider taking matters into your own hands to get rid of the problem yourself instead of hiring a professional. DON’T.

We spoke to Tony Romanelli of RCC Waterproofing about why mould removal is NOT a DIY project and should be left to a capable professional.

Damp environments are a breeding ground for mould

You keep a clean house, you keep the doors and windows closed to prevent foreign bodies from entering your home. So why do you have mould? Romanelli says mould grows in damp environments, especially basements thanks to moisture.

Just because you can’t see mould doesn’t mean it’s not there. “It’s not always visible,” he says, which is why it’s important to have your home tested for mould.

mould_removal

Basements are a common lace for mould growth thanks to moisture. RCC Waterproofing can waterproof your basement to prevent moisture from coming in, thus preventing mould growth.

Mould should be removed by an expert

Romanelli says many people think they can remove mould themselves by putting on a mask, some gloves and opening the windows. “Mould is better left alone. If you disturb it, it can travel throughout your whole house,” he says. “You have to contain the area. It’s a big process.” Romanelli stresses it’s not a do-it-yourself job!

Mould removal is a dirty job. Leave it to a professional to clean up for you!

Mould removal is a dirty job. Leave it to a professional to clean up for you!

Have proper inspections conducted

Romanelli recommends hiring a professional company to do both the pre-inspection before the mould is removed, and a post-removal inspection. “It should always be a third-party company, not the company removing the mould,” he says.

They should do a thorough inspection of the place. “No one should ever come to your house and say, ‘visually, you have mould and this is how much,’” says Romanelli.

Upon the final inspection (after mould has been removed), homeowners should receive a certificate indicating the mould has been completely removed throughout the house.

Once the mould has been removed, have your home inspected again to make sure it's cleared.

Once the mould has been removed, have your home inspected again to make sure it’s cleared.

Upon identifying the cause of mould, solve it

Basements are a common place to find mould because it’s a moist, damp area. What can accelerate the mould growth is if there are cracks in the home’s foundation, which can cause a basement water leak. Romanelli says this is a sign the home hasn’t been waterproofed, a home maintenance project that could prevent mould from taking over your home.

RCC Waterproofing can not only provide mould removal services, but can waterproof the perimeter of your home to prevent moisture from entering your living spaces.

Waterproof your basement to prevent a moist environment where mould thrives.

Waterproof your basement to prevent a moist environment where mould thrives.

More in Mould Removal

8 Basement Maintenance Tasks

Major disaster cleanup and your home



Array ( [0] => 840 )

LOOK FOR TIPS & ARTICLES?