In today’s article I will shake up the conventional grilling season narrative by introducing you to the ultimate plant-based Steak alternative: Tofu Steak.
Before we get started though, I have a single favour to ask:
Forget everything you negative you heard you’ve heard about tofu.
I plan to convince you that Tofu Steak is a nutritious, delicious and practical grilling option for you this summer.
For those who have yet to try tofu, let me start by saying that it tastes better than you think it does.
It’s not just something you prepare to accommodate your vegan guest; it really is a unique delicacy.
In my private practice I consistently see clients who think they hate tofu until they actually prepare it using a recipe that suits their tastes.
I find that people also tend to be surprised with all that tofu offers from a nutritional standpoint.
Tofu is a good source of both protein and iron (just like steak is) but it comes without the high levels of saturated fat, meaning it is an ideal choice for those living with high cholesterol, heart disease or diabetes.
Tofu isn’t just a nutritional powerhouse though, when prepared correctly it has the taste and texture to match any meat dish.
Keep these points in mind:
- Extra firm varieties of tofu are excellent for replicating the firmness and mouth feel of meat.
- Tofu takes on the taste and flavours of it’s seasoning, which means you can easily replicate the taste of your favourite steak or meat dish.
- Tofu Steak can be BBQ grilled and presented with the aesthetic grill lines we all love.
Are you ready to learn how to prepare tofu steaks on the grill? I thought you might be!
7 Steps To An Amazing Tofu Steak:
- Start off by purchasing Extra Firm tofu, which has the firmness required to replicate steak.
- Tofu is sold in rectangular bricks. Cut the brick once width wise and once length wise to turn the original brick into four smaller steak slabs.
- Gently pat the steak slabs dry with paper towel
- Lightly apply your favourite marinade, herbs and/or spices. Any combination that has worked for you on your meat dishes in the past will work here as well.
- Clean and oil your grill before pre heating to medium heat
- Place your tofu steaks on the grill and reduce heat to low. Cover the Barbeque and cook each side for ~10 minutes
- Apply any additional sauce/spice to taste and serve just as you would any other steak or meat dish. I recommend serving them alongside a medley of potatoes and greens (as pictured).
I am confident that you will never think about tofu the same way again, and your wallet will thank you.
A brick of tofu comes in at $3 CDN (a fraction of the price of the average steak) and produces enough to generously serve two.
Do yourself a favour and give it a shot, just don’t forget who turned you onto it.
Until next time,
Andy De Santis RD MPH